Hours after news broke about its staff shake-up, the White House formally announced in a statement that President Donald Trump would accept press secretary Sean Spicer’s resignation, praising his “great television ratings” in the process.
“I am grateful for Sean’s work on behalf of my Administration and the American people,” the statement from the White House press secretary’s office said.
The statement came more than five hours after the White House unveiled incoming communications director Anthony Scaramucci and installed deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders in place of Spicer.
In the announcement, the president congratulated Spicer on his “great television ratings,” despite Spicer not delivering an on-camera briefing since June 20, a growing point of contention among the White House press corps. The comments were previously noted by Sanders during Friday’s earlier press briefing.
During Scaramucci’s first appearance at the press podium during the on-camera briefing Friday, the former Wall Street financier addressed the question of whether regularly scheduled on-camera briefings would return.
“The answer is we may,” Scaramucci said. “I have to talk to the president about that. I like consulting with the president before I make decisions like that.”
Scaramucci also wished Spicer well and said hopes “he goes on to make a tremendous amount of money.”
In the same White House statement released Friday night, Spicer said it was a “tremendous honor” to serve the president as press secretary, adding: “In just 6 months, President Trump and his staff have done great work to advance the interests of the American people, both at home and abroad. President Trump’s unwavering commitment to making America great again will no doubt ensure that these successes continue in the coming months and years.”