White House threatens Syria over possible chemical attack

The Trump administration on Monday directly threatened Syria if it launched another chemical attack against its people.

Syrian President Bashar Assad is possibly planning another attack using chemical weapons, press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement, adding that the Assad regime will "pay a heavy price" if another attack using chemical weapons is conducted.

Spicer said in the statement that the U.S. identified "potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children."

A chemical attack was conducted April 4 that left more than 80 people dead, including children young enough to still be wearing diapers when they were killed. Assad denied that his regime carried out the attack.

"As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price," Spicer said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s